Summary Education and Background Research Highlights Publications Students
Aug 2007 Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Minor in Statistics Dissertation: Statistical Process Adjustment Problems in Short-Run Manufacturing
Aug 2000 Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
June 1998 Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
08/14- Pres. Associate Professor Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, Tallahassee, FL
11/12- 09/16 Director of Graduate Studies Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, Tallahassee, FL
08/08- 08/14 Assistant Professor Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, Tallahassee, FL
- Florida Department of Transportation: Context-based Thresholds and Calibration Functions for Crash Prediction Models: Phase II Study. Award Dates: 8/1/2022-12/31/2023, PI, Total Award: $ 255,508 (50% share).
- NSF-CMMI/EIR: Bending the curve for vulnerable populations: A data-analytical and socio-technical decision-making framework for sheltering in hurricane-pandemics, Award Dates: 9/1/2021-8/31/2024, PI, Total Award: $542,165, Award No: CMMI-2101091 (41% share).
- Florida Department of Transportation: Diagnostics Tests and Significance Thresholds for Crash Prediction Models: A Phase I Study. Award Dates: 4/1/2021-7/30/2022, PI, Total Award: $ 175,000 (50% share).
- Vanli, O. A. , Giroux, R. (2022), An Adaptive Cumulative Sum Method for Monitoring Integer-Valued Time-Series Data, Quality Engineering, 34 (2), 230-247. DOI: 10.1080/08982112.2022.2044050.
- Vanli, O. A., Taylor, C. (2022), “Robust Error Estimation Based on Factor-Graph Models for Non-Line-of-Sight Localization”, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2022:3, 26 pages. DOI: 10.1186/s13634‑022‑00837‑8.
- Vanli, O. A., Alawad, N., (2021), “Space-Time Surveillance of Count Data Subject to Linear Trends”, Quality and Reliability Eng. International, 37 (1), 145-164. DOI:10.1002/qre.2727.
- Nicholson, D. Vanli, O. A., Jung, S., Ozguven, E. E., (2019), “A Spatial Regression and Clustering Method for Place-Specific Social Vulnerability Indices”, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 38, 101224, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101224.
- Mishra, S., Vanli, O.A., Kakareko, G., Jung, S. (2019), “Preventive Maintenance of Wood-Frame Buildings for Hurricane Preparedness”, Structural Safety, 76, 28–39. DOI: 10.1016/j.strusafe.2018.07.002.
- Vanli, O. A., Giroux, R. Ozguven, E. E., Pignatiello, J. J. (2019), “Monitoring of Count Data Time Series: Cumulative Sum Change Detection in Poisson Integer Valued GARCH models”, Quality Engineering, 31, 3, 439-452. DOI: 10.1080/08982112.2018.1508696 .
- Mishra, S., Vanli, O.A., Jung, S., Alduse, B. (2017), “Hurricane Loss Estimation in Wood-Frame Buildings using Bayesian Model Updating: Assessing Uncertainty in Fragility and Reliability Analyses”. Engineering Structures, 135, 81–94. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.12.063.
Doctoral Dissertation Supervision as Major Professor
- Seyedreza Abazari, “Count data statistical models for public health”, Fa 2021-Present.
- Rupert R. Giroux, “Spatiotemporal Monitoring of Count Data: Applications of Roadway Safety”, Chair, May 2014-May 2020. Graduated. Currently at Florida DOT, State Safety Office, Tallahassee, FL.
- Spandan Mishra, “Structural Health Monitoring With Lamb-Wave Sensors: Problems In Damage Monitoring, Prognostics And Multisensory Decision Fusion”, Chair, Jan 2012-Aug 2016. Graduated. Currently at Palo Alto Networks, Santa Clara, CA.
- Rebekah Downes, “Mechanisms of CNT stretching alignment and effect of the alignment on properties of CNT composites”, Co-chair (with Richard Liang), Aug 2011-Dec 2015. Graduated.
- Thomas Anthony, “Improving Photovoltaic Efficiency for Residential and Other Applications Employing Novel Nanofluid Recuperative Heat Transfer Methodology”, Co-chair, Jan 2010 – May 2012, Graduated. Currently at Bimshire Consulting Inc., Indianapolis, IN.
Master’s Thesis Supervision as Major Professor (27 graduates)
- Nour Alawad, Robust Space-Time CUSUM Methods for Healthcare Surveillance. 2018- 2020. Graduated. Currently System Engineer at Northrop Grumman.
- Aysegul Baloglu, Supply Prepositioning for Humanitarian Disaster Response. 2016 –2018. Graduated.
- Aschkan Omidvar, “Aging Driver Focused Traffic Crash Frequency and Severity Analyses”, Co-Chair, 2014- 2016. Graduated. Currently Data Scientist at Delta Airlines, Atlanta, GA.
- Hasan Symum, “Modeling of Variation Propagation in Multistage Systems”, 2013- 2015, Graduated. Currently Analytics Fellow at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA.
Dr. Arda Vanli is an Associate Professor in the Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (IME) Department at Florida A&M University and Florida State University, College of Engineering. Dr. Vanli’s research interests lie in the general area of applied industrial statistics and data analytics with special focus in improving quality and reliability in modern manufacturing and design processes and assessing risk, vulnerability and resilience of communities and infrastructure against adverse events including natural disasters. His research in modeling and variability reduction of manufacturing processes, assessment of vulnerability and resilience against disasters, spatiotemporal surveillance of infectious diseases, and modeling and improving roadway safety has been funded by National Science Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Florida Department of Transportation. Dr. Vanli received the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (SFFP) award in 2019, 2020 and 2021, working on robust state estimation methods for navigation problems. His research is published in journals including, Quality Engineering, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Technometrics, IIE Transactions, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing and Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing.