Summary Education and Background Research Highlights Publications Students
Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, 2000
M.Sc., Materials Science and Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, 1990
B.Sc., Materials Science and Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, 1987
Florida State University, Professor, Director for High-Performance Materials Institute (HPMI) and Director for Florida Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials (CEAM), The Florida Board of Governors (BOG), 2012-present
Florida State University, Professor and Technical Director for High-Performance Materials Institute (HPMI), 2011-2012
Florida State University, Professor and Chief Technologist for High-Performance Materials Institute (HPMI), 2008-2011
Florida State University, Associate Professor and Chief Technologist for Florida Advanced Center for Composite Technologies (FAC2T) and NSF IUCRC for Affordable Composite Materials-FSU, 2001-2008
Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Professor and Director for Polymers and Composites Program, 1999-2001
Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Associate Professor and Director for Polymers and Composites Program, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, 1993-1998
Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Assistant Lecturer, Lecturer and Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, 1991-1993
- Principal Investigator, NSF SNM: Roll-to-Roll Manufacturing of High Quality Bucky-tape with Aligned and Crosslinked Carbon Nanotubes Through In-line Sensing and Control, 2013-2017.
- Principal Investigator, AFOSR STTR Phase II: Heterogeneously Structured Conductive Resin Matrix/Graphite Fiber Composite for High Thermal Conductive Structural Applications, 2013-2015.
- Principal Investigator, Office of Navy Research (ONR): Ultra-long Carbon Nanotubes Synthesis Study: Porous Catalysis and Directionally Floating Growth, 2013-2015.
- Principal Investigator, Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR): Macroscopic Crosslinked Neat Carbon Nanotube Materials and CNT/Carbon Fiber Hybrid Composites: Supermolecular Structure and New Failure Mode Study, 2011-2015
- Principal Investigator (Advisor) (from Jan. 2012), Cytec Engineering Materials: Cytec Doctoral Fellowship for Nanocomposites, 2011-2016.
- Principal Investigator (from Aug. 2012), Florida State Board of Governor (BOG): Florida Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials, Co-PI (before Aug. 2012),2007-2016.
- C. Zhang, Z. Liang, B. Wang and C. Shih, “System for In-Situ and Online Monitoring of Preform Layup Process for Liquid Composite Molding,” US 6532799, 2002.
- Z. Liang, C. Zhang, B. Wang, J. Ugarte, C. Lin and J. Thagard, “Methods for Continuous Fabrication of Carbon Nanotube Networks or Membrane Materials”, US 7,459, 121B2, US, 2006.
- Z. Liang, C. Zhang, Z. Wang and B. Wang, “A method for mechanically chopping nanotubes and nanoscale fibrous materials”, US 20060017191A1, 2010.
- C. Zhang; Chun, Z. Liang and B. Wang, “Vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding flow-tracking process and system”, US 7,797,075, 2010.
- Z. Liang, C. Zhang, Z. Wang and S. Wang, “Method for functionalization of nanoscale fiber films”, US 7,862,766, 2011.
- Z. Liang, C. Zhang, B. Wang and C.Yeh, “A Method to Fabricate Multiple-Walled Carbon Nanotube and Nanofiber Film Materials”, U.S. Patent Provisional Application No. 60/764,504, US Patent Office of Allowance received, 2011.
- T. Liu, B. Wang, C. Zhang and Z. Liang, “A Sensor and a Method of Making a Sensor”, U.S. Patent Application No. No. 12/471,903, US Patent Office of Allowance received, 2011.
- Z. Liang, J.G. Park, C. Zhang, B. Wang “Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Structure Including Carbon Nanotube or Nanofiber Film Composites”, U.S. 8,351,220, 2013.
- S. Wang, Z. Liang, B. Wang and C. Zhang, “Method for Functionalization of Nanoscale Fibers and Nanoscale Fiber Films”, US 8, 354,490, 2013.
- C. Zhang, Z. Liang, B. Wang, Q. Wu, “Fire and Smoke Retardant Composite Materials”, US 8,585,864, 2013.
- Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang and JG Park, “Electromagnetic interference shielding structure including carbon nanotube or nanofiber films” US Patent 8,520,406, 2013.
- JP Zheng, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang and W. Zhu, “Carbon Nanotube and Nanofiber Film-based Membrane Electrode Assemblies”, US Patent 8,415,012, 2013 (Licensed).
Recent Publications (>120 journal publications since joined FSU, current ISI h-index: 25)
- Y-F Su, JG Park, A. Koo, S. Trayner, A. Hao, R. Downes and Z. Liang, "Characterization at Atomic Resolution of Carbon Nanotube/Resin Interface in Nanocomposites by Mapping sp2 and sp3 Bonding States using EELS", Microscopy and Microanalysis, in-press, 2016.
- M-Y. Li, M-C Yang; E. Vargas,; K. Neff,; O. Vanli ; Z. Liang, “Analysis of Variance on Thickness and Electrical Conductivity Measurements of Carbon Nanotube Thin Films”, Measurement Science and Technology, in-press, 2016.
- K. Yao, Z. Liang, and J. P. Zheng, “Freestanding Flexible Si Nanoparticles-Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes Composite Anodes for Li-Ion Batteries and Their Prelithiation by Stabilized Li Metal Powder”, J. Electrochem. En. Conv. Stor. 13(1), 011004, 2016.
- Y. Li, S. Luo, M. Yang, Z. Liang, C. Zeng, “Poisson Ratio and Piezoresistive Sensing: A New Route to High-Performance 3D Flexible and Stretchable Sensors of Multimodal Sensing Capability”, Advanced Functional Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201505070, 2016.
- R. Downes, A. Hao, JG Park , Y-F Su, Z. Liang, B. Jensen , E. Siochi, K. Wise, “Geometrically Constrained Self-assembly and Crystal Packing of Flattened and Aligned Carbon Nanotubes”, Carbon, 93, 953–966, 2015.
- M. Q. Le, J-F. Capsal1, J. Galineau, F. Ganet, X.Yin, M.C. Yang, J-F, Chateaux, L. Renaud, C. Malhaire, P-J. Cottinet, Z. Liang, “All-organic Electrostrictive Polymer Composites with Low Driving Electrical Voltages for Micro-fluidic Pump Applications”, Scientific Reports, 5:11814 | DOI: 10.1038/srep11814, 2015.
- S. Trayner a, A.Hao, R. Downes a, JG. Park, YF. Su and Z. Liang, “High-resolution TEM Analysis of Flatten Carbon Nanotube Packing in Nanocomposites”, Synthetic Metals, 204, 103–109, 2015.
- S. Wang, R. Downes, C. Young, D. Haldane, A. Hao, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang, R. Maskell, “Carbon Fiber/Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper Interply Hybrid Composites: Manufacturing Process and Tensile Properties”, Advanced Engineering Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adem.201500034, 2015.
- J. Smithyman; QH Do; C. Zeng and Z. Liang. “Ultra-fast Aqueous Li-ion Redox Energy Storage from Vanadium Oxide-carbon Nanotube Yarn Electrodes”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol.277, 59–63, 2015.
- C. Knight, C. Zeng, C. Zhang and Z. Liang. “Fabrication and Properties of Composites Utilizing Reclaimed Woven Carbon Fiber by Sub-critical and Supercritical Water Recycling”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 149–150, 317–323, 2015.
- M-C., Yang, M-Y. Li, S. Luo, Z. Liang, “Real-time Monitoring of Carbon Nanotube Dispersion Using Dynamic Light Scattering and UV-vis Spectroscopy”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 82(1), 361-36711, DOI 10.1007/s00170-015-7348-z, 2015.
- J. Njuguna, O. A. Vanli, and Z. Liang, “A Review of Spectral Methods for Dispersion Characterization of Carbon Nanotubes in Aqueous Suspensions”, Journal of Spectroscopy, 463156, dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/463156, 2015.
- T. Liu, Z. Liang, O. Okoli and M. Zhang, “Fabrication of Silicon Nanowire on Freestanding Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes by Chemical Vapor Deposition”, Materials Letters, 159, 353–356, 2015.
- Z. Li, R. Downes and Z. Liang, “In Situ Polymerized pCBT Composites with Aligned Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper: Structure and Properties”, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 10, 1-10, 2014.
- R. Downes, S. Wang, D. Haldane, A. Moench and Z. Liang, “Strain-Induced Alignment Mechanisms of Carbon Nanotube Networks”, Advanced Engineering Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adem.201400045, 2014.
- S. Li, JG. Park, S. Wang, Z.Liang, C. Zhang, B.Wang, “Working Mechanisms of Strain Sensors Utilizing Aligned Carbon Nanotube Network and Aerosol Jet Printed Electrodes”, Carbon, 303 –309, 2014.
- P.J. Cottinet, M.Q. Le, J. Degraff, C. Souders, Z. Liang, B. Wang and C. Zhang, "Strain Phenomenon in Carbon Nanotube Buckpaper Actuator: Experiments and Modeling," Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, Vol. 194, pp. 252-258, 2014.
- S. Wang, D.Haldane, P. Gallagher, T. Liu, Z. Liang and J. Koo, “Heterogeneously Structured Conductive Carbon Fiber Composites by Using Multi-scale Silver Particles”, Composites: Part B, 61, 172–180, 2014.
- Jesse Smithyman and Z. Liang, “Flexible Supercapacitor Yarns with Coaxial Carbon Nanotube Network Electrodes”, Materials Science and Engineering B, 184, 34–43, 2014.
- Q. Do, J. Smithyman, C. Zeng, C. Zhang, Z. Liang, J. Zheng, “Toward Binder-free Electrochemical Capacitor Electrodes of Vanadium Oxide-nanostructured Carbon by Supercritical Fluid Deposition: Precursor Adsorption and Conversion, and Electrode Performance”, Journal of Power Sources, 248, 124-247, 2014.
- M. Kim, O. Okoli, D. Jack, Y.-B. Park and Z. Liang, “Predicting Mechanical Properties of Multiscale Composites”, Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 42, No.8 349-51, 2013.
- Y. Xin, J. Kynoch, K. Han, Z. Liang, P.J. Lee, D.C. Larbalestier, Y-F Su, K. Nagahata T. Aoki and P. Longo, “Facility Implementation and Comparative Performance Evaluation of Probe-Corrected TEM/STEM with Schottky and Cold Field Emission Illumination”, Microsc. Microanal. 19, 487–495, 2013.
- C.M. Hadden, B.D. Jensen, A. Bandyopadhyay, G.M. Odegard, A. Koo and Z. Liang, “Molecular Modeling of EPON-862/Graphite Composites: Interfacial Characteristics for Multiple Crosslink Densities”, Composites Science and Technology 76, 92-99, 2013
- S. Wang, D. Haldane, Z. Liang, J. Smithyman,C. Zhang and B. Wang, “Nanoscale Infiltration Behaviour and Through-thickness Permeability of Carbon Nanotube Buckypapers”, Nanotechnology, 24, 015704, 2013.
- Y-W. Chen, C-Y. Cheng, H-Y Miao, M. Zhang, Z. Liang, C. Zhang, L-C. Wang and B. Wang, “Application of Response Surface Methodology in the Optimization of Laser Treatment in Buckypaper Lighting for Field Emission Displays”, Int J Adv Manuf Technol, DOI 10.1007/s00170-012-4424-5, 2012.
- I-W. Chen, P-J. Cottinet, S-Y. Tsai, B. Foster, Z. Liang, B. Wang and Chuck Zhang, “Improved Performance of Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper and Ionic-liquid-in-Nafion Actuators for Rapid Response and High Durability in the Open Air”, Sensors and Actuators B, 171/172 , 515– 521, 2012.
- C.-Y. Chang, E.M. Phillips, Z. Liang, S. Tozer, B. Wang, C. Zhang and H.-T. Chiu, “Alignment and Properties of Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper/Liquid Crystalline Polymer Composites”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., DOI: 10.1002/APP.38209, 2012.
- S. Li , JG Park, Z. Liang, T. Siegrist, T. Liu and M. Zhang, Q. Cheng, B. Wang, C. Zhan, “In situ Characterization of Structural Changes and the Fraction of Aligned Carbon Nanotube Networks Produced by Stretching”, Carbon, 50, 3859-3867, 2012.
- JG Park, Q. Cheng, J. Lu, J. Bao, S. Li, Y. Tian, Z. Liang, C. Zhang. B. Wang, “Thermal Conductivity of MWCNT/Epoxy Composites: the effects of length, alignment and Functionalization”, Carbon 50, 2083-2090, 2012.
- J. Smithyman, A. Moench, Z. Liang, JP. Zheng, B. Wang, C. Zhang, “Binder-free Composite Electrodes using Carbon Nanotube Networks as a Host Matrix for Activated Carbon Microparticles”, Appl. Phys A, 107, 723–731, 2012.
- M. Zimmer, X. Fan, J. Bao, R. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang and J. Brooks, "Through-Thickness Thermal Conductivity Prediction Study on Nanocomposites and Multiscale Composites," Materials Sciences and Applications, Vol. 3 No. 3, pp. 131-138 (Open access), 2012.
- C. Tsai, C. Chang, K. Wang, C. Zhang, Z. Liang, and B. Wang, "Predictive Model for Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper-Polymer Nanocomposite Modulus Prediction Driven by Micromechanical Modeling and Physical Experiments," IIE Transactions, Vol. 44, pp. 590-602, 2012.
- M. Zimmer,Q Cheng, S. Li, J. Brooks, Z. Liang, B. Wang and C. Zhang, “Comparative Characterization of Multiscale Carbon Fiber Composite with Long and Short MWCNTs at Higher Weight Fractions”, Journal of Nanomaterials, 532080, doi:10.1155/2012/532080, 2012.
- P.-J. Cottinet, C. Souders, S.-Y. Tsai, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang, “Electromechanical Actuation of Buckypaper Actuator: Material Properties and Performance Relationships”, Physics Letters A 376, 1132–1136, 2012.
- D. Zhao, T. Liu, M. Zhang, Z. Liang and Ben Wang, “Fabrication and Characterization of Aerosol-jet Printed Strain Sensors for Multifunctional Composite Structures”, Smart Mater. Struct. 21, 115008, 2012.
- I.-W. Chen, H. Zhao, Z. Liang, B. Wang and C. Zhang, "High Conductive Carbon Nanotube Buckypapers with Improved Doping Stability via Conjugational Cross-Linking," Nanotechnology, 22, 485708, 2011.
- P.-J. Cottinet, C. Souders, D. Labrador, S. Porter, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang, “Nonlinear Strain–Electric Field Relationship of Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper/Nafion Actuators”, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 170, 164– 171, 2011.
- G.Q. Zhang, J. Zheng, Z. Liang, C. Zhang, B. Wang, M. Au, M. Hendrickson and E.J. Plichta "alpha-MnO(2)/Carbon Nanotube/Carbon Nanofiber Composite Catalytic Air Electrodes for Rechargeable Lithium-air Batteries," Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 158(7), pp. A822-A827, 2011.
- X. Fu, C. Zhang, Z. Liang, B. Wang and J.C. Fielding, "High Temperature Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding of Phenylethynyl Terminated Imide Composites," Polymer Composites, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 52-58, 2011
- S. Li, J.G. Park, Z. Liang, C. Zhang and B. Wang, "Effects of Solvent Immersion and Evaporation on the Electrical Conductance of Pre-stressed Carbon Nanotube Buckypapers," Nanotechnology, 22, 365706, 2011.
- W. Zhu, C. Zeng, JP. Zheng, Z. Liang, C. Zhang, and B. Wang, “Preparation of Buckypaper Supported Pt Catalyst for PEMFC Using a Supercritical Fluid Method”, The Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. B81-B83, 2011.
- M. Kim1, O. I. Okoli, D. Jack, Y.-B. Park and Z. Liang, “Characterization and Modeling of CNT–epoxy and CNT–fibre–epoxy Composites”, Plastics, Rubber and Composites, Vol.40 No.10, 481-6, 2011.
- Q. Wu, J. Bao, C. Zhang, Z. Liang and B. Wang, "The Effect of Thermal Stability of Carbon Nanotubes on the Flame Retardancy of Epoxy and Bismaleimide/Carbon Fiber/Buckypaper Composites," Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, DOI 10.1007/s10973-010-0960-0, 2011.
- C. Tsai, C. Zhang, D.A. Jack, Z. Liang, B. Wang, "The Effect of Inclusion Waviness Distribution on Elastic Properties of Fiber-reinforced Composites," Composite, Part B: Engineering, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 62-70, 2011.
- Y.-W. Chen, H-Y. Miao, R.J. Lin, M. Zhang, Z. Liang, C. Zhang and B. Wang, "Emitter Spacing Effects on Field Emission Properties of Laser-Treated Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Buckypapers," Nanotechnology, Vol. 21, No. 49, pp495702, 2010.
- J.G. Park, N.G. Yun, Y.B. Park, Z. Liang, L. Lumata, J.S. Brooks, C. Zhang and B. Wang, "Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Buckypaper and Mesophase Pitch Carbon/Carbon Composites," Carbon, 48, 4 2 7 6 –4 2 8 2, 2010.
- W. Zhu, J.P. Zheng, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang, G. Au and E.J. Plichta, "Ultra-Low Platinum Loading High-Performance PEMFCs Using Buckypaper-Supported Electrodes," Electrochemistry Communications, 12, pp. 1654-1657, 2010.
- X. Fu, C. Zhang, R. Liang, B. Wang and J.C. Fielding, "High Temperature Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding of Phenylethynyl Terminated Imide Composites," Polymer Composites, DOI: 10.1002/pc.21015, 2010.
- G.Q. Zhang, J.P. Zheng, R. Liang, C. Zhang, B. Wang, M. Hendrickson, and E.J. Plichta, "Lithium-air Batteries Using SWNT/CNF Buckypapers as Air Electrodes," Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 157, No. 8, A953-A956, 2010.
- W. Zhu, D. Ku, J.P. Zheng, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang, S. Walsh, G. Au and E.J. Plichta, "Buckypaper-Based Catalytic Electrodes for Improving Platinum Utilization and PEMFC's Performance," Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 55, No. 7, pp. 2555-2560, 2010.
Doctoral Dissertation Supervision as Major Professor (10 graduates; two are professors in US academic institutes)
- Jan Gou (August 2002), Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Bucky Paper/Epoxy Composites: Molecular Dynamics Simulation And Process Development, Co-advisor (Full Professor at University of Central Florida)
- James Thagard (November 2003), Investigation and Development of the Resin Infusion between Double Flexible Tooling (RIDFT) Process for Composite Fabrication, (Global Business Manager, Honeywell International)
- Shiren (Edward) Wang (December 2006), Functionalization of Carbon Nanotubes: Characterization, Modeling and Composite Applications, Co-advisor (Associate Professor at Texas Tech University, NSF CAREER)
- Olivier Marietta-Tondin (December 2006), Molecular Modeling of Nanotube Composite Materials: Interface Formation, Interfacial Strength and Thermal Expansion (Manager, M&H Valve Company)
- Yu-Hsuan (Ashley) Liao (April 2007), Manufacturing Process of Nanotube/Nanofiber Nanocomposite: Dispersion and Alignment Studies (Project Manager, Taiwan Industrial Technology Research Institute)
- Yeh (Irene) Chreng-Shii (January 2008), Process Optimization and Modeling of Surface Area and Electrical Property of Nanotube Networks(Senior Engineer, M.C. Gill Corp.)
- Giang T. Pham (October, 2008), Characterization and Modeling of Piezoresistive Properties of Carbon Nanotube-based Conductive Polymer Composites (Program manager, Navy Research Laboratory)
- Michael M. Zimmer (November, 2009), Thermal Management Composites Utilizing Carbon Nanotubes and High-Conducting Carbon Fibers: Design, Fabrication and Characterization (Product manager, Fuji Silysia Chemical, Ltd.)
- Szu-Yuan (Kenny) Tsai (January, 2010), Experimental and Modeling Study of Nanotube Buckypaper Composite Actuator for Morphing Structure Applications
- Shu (Shawn) Li ( December, 2012), Modeling, Design and Fabrication of High Current Carrying Nanotube Networks and Their Composites (Senior Engineer, Commines Engine)
- Jesse Smithyman (MSE, December 2014), Nano/microstructure Analysis and Design for Novel Nanostructured Electrodes for Energy Device Applications (Imprint Energy)
Master’s Thesis Supervision as Major Professor (27 graduates)
2003: Olivier Marietta-Tondin and Ravi S. Kadambala
2004: Yu-Hsuan (Ashley) Liao, Philippe Gonnet and Irene C. Yeh (Co-advisor)
2005: Shen (Tracy) Wang, Chih-Yen (Charlie) Lin, Szu-Yuan (Kenny) Tsai and Kirk Davey Duvals ((NSF IGERT Fellowship, Co-advisor)
2006: Danylle Brown (NSF IGERT Fellowship)
2007: Johnnattan Ugarte, Jeffrey Louis and Yuan (Joanna) Xue
2008: Chung-Lin (Daphne) Ku and Eric R. Rodriguez
2009: Jasmine Young, Shu (Shawn) Li and Xinpin (Kelly) Wang
2010: Daniel Labrador, Aniket Ingrole, Bryant Click, Pegah Azamian and Jesse Smithyman
2011: Ana Koo
2012: Peter Gallagher (MSE)
2014: Sarah Trayner (MSE)
Dr. Zhiyong (Richard) Liang is a professor at Department of Industrial and Manufacturing, Florida State University. He also serves as the Director of the FSU High-Performance Materials Institute (HPMI). He received his PhD degree in Materials Science and Engineering from the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics. He is research experience and expertise are in the areas of advanced composites, multifunctional nanomaterials and CNT buckypaper materials, including synthesis, chemical functionalization, processing-structure-property relationships, and multiscale characterization and manufacturing process modeling. Since he joined FSU in 2001, the importance and uniqueness of his research have attracted significant research funding from various government agencies and leading industrial corporations. As PI and Co-PI, he has worked on more than 50 research grants. He has about 25 US patents and pending applications. He has published more than 110 refereed journal papers. He advised 26 MS, 10 PhD and 7 honors thesis students, as well as 22 postdocs since joining FSU. With his colleagues and students, he has won 17 outstanding research, best paper, innovation and student advising awards.